KNOW MORE ABOUT UMGUNGUNDLOVU ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AGENCY
The uMgungundlovu District Development Agency (UMEDA), is a State Owned Entity, owned entirely by the uMgungundlovu District Municipality (UMDM), and established as a result of the mandate of the decision taken at a Kwazulu-Natal Provincial Cabinet Lekgotla in September 2012. The District, and hence the Agency, has supportive and collaborative ties with the seven (7) Local Municipalities of Msunduzi, Mshwati, uMngeni, Richmond, iMpendle, Mpofana and Mkhambathini.
The Agency is striving towards self-sustainability while at the same time working as a developmental organization, whose objective it is, is to drive economic growth, promote investment and transformation, based on best business practices.
- To unlock economic development potential within the District;
- To identify, facilitate, package and achieve the implementation of strategic sustainable economic development and investment projects and programmes within the District;
- To develop portfolios of catalytic projects and programmes that comprise of both short term implementable low hanging fruit projects and longer term large scale strategic and catalytic projects and programmes;
- To undertake identified and prioritised projects on behalf of the parent Municipality and the Local Municipalities within the District as approved by the Parent Municipality in line with Agency’s corporate strategy;
- To implement and manage projects captured in the business plan to be developed by the Agency and updated monthly for presentation to the Parent Municipality, at whose discretion, guidance and oversight will be provided;
- To implement and manage Government initiatives and programmes such as Agriparks, RASET and those that promote Radical Economic Transformation;
- To implement effective, efficient and transparent financial management and internal control systems to guard against fraud, theft and financial mismanagement.
- To provide all reports as required by legislation timeously and those detailing financial and operational performance to the parent municipality on quarterly basis or as when required, provided that reasonable notice has been given;
- To maintain proper books of account reflecting all income and expenditure;
- To accept full responsibility for the staff, staff contracts, payment of salaries, taxes and all legal requirements
- To identify, facilitate and implement strategic projects which transform the District both economically and spatially
- To become a self-sufficient and sustainable entity
To identify, facilitate and implement strategic projects which transform the District both economically and spatially To become a self-sufficient and sustainable entityises.
- To ensure sound budgeting and compliance principles
- To establish an efficient and productive administration
- To build a high performing organisation with motivated staff
- Increase facilitated direct investments.
- Deliver and Optimize Economic Catalytic Projects
- Package, Develop & promote investment opportunities for selected sectors.